Coming in 2022 to St. Vincent Health
Hospice is care for people who have received a life-limiting diagnosis – with an emphasis on symptom control, and comfort. Though each plan of care is personalized, the ultimate goal is always to have the patient as comfortable as possible, at home with loved ones.
Care is overseen by a team of trained professionals – a medical director, nurses, spiritual and bereavement counselors, and therapists.
Hospice care is covered by Medicare and most commercial insurance. Depending on the terminal illness and/or related conditions, the plan of care a hospice team creates can include any or all of these services:
- Doctors’ services
- Nursing and medical services
- Durable medical equipment for pain relief and symptom management
- Medical supplies, like bandages or catheters
- Drugs for pain management
- Aide and homemaker services
- Physical therapy services
- Occupational therapy services
- Speech-language pathology services
- Social services
- Dietary counseling
- Spiritual and grief counseling for patient and family
- Short-term inpatient care for pain and symptom management
- Inpatient respite care, so that the usual caregiver (like a family member or friend) can rest
- Any other services Medicare and insurance covers to manage pain and other symptoms related to terminal illness and related conditions, as the hospice team recommends
To learn more about Hospice services at St. Vincent Health contact Dennis McWhorter, MHA at 719-486-0230.
Dennis McWhorter, MHA at 719-486-0230